Unclaimed .sol Domain Names Exceeding the 6 Month Period

Bonfida Team Post

The Solana Name Service initially started with an auction system for .sol domain names. This approach was favoured by the community and team to ensure fair distribution and attainment of domains. This system additionally included a 6 month grace period for auction winners to claim their domain. If this period was exceeded, it would result in the domain name returning to the registry where anyone can restart the auction.

Recently, after an adequate period for fair distribution and attainment of domain names was allocated, a DAO proposal was submitted and approved to end the auction system. Thus, domain name registration is now immediate and based on fixed prices.

This, however, begs the question; what approach should be taken with domain names that have and will exceed their 6 month unclaimed period?

There are two possible options:

1. These domains can once again adopt the auction system, therefore, allowing users to bid on the unclaimed domains

2. Or, more time can be given to auction winners to claim their domains

These are the type of decisions we want our community to be a part of. We encourage you to voice your opinions on the case presented above.

Moreover, if you are aware of any domain names that have remained unclaimed for longer than 6 months – we welcome you to point them out in this thread.

Disclaimer: All current auctions will continue to follow the initial system as described and the rightful owners will still have a 6 month grace period to claim their domain. The above case and options provided will only apply to domain names that remain unclaimed for longer than 6 months.

3 Likes

I think the persons who have not claimed them in 6 months have probably long forgotten about them and there is no real way to contact them. So they should be released for purchase. Unfortunate but true. As it is with crypto… long forgotten things lost.

Any domain that has already passed the 6 month mark should be released now (or very soon) and be available for purchase with the new direct buy registration method.

Could always give 7 more days just to be fair. But I know the system started on June 22nd and that means many names are already over 1 month past the 6 month mark and still are not claimed.

I am assuming there are 1000’s of unclaimed names from the first month or two?

I would also say they should be set free for all with no listing of what they are and people should be left to find them by searching themselves freely. The fun of the hunt! This will keep it fair. Obviously that is how it’s always been but just stating this to be sure.

5 Likes

I agree with the proposed third option of letting them be registered via the direct buy system. They were technically never registered, so they aren’t resells. Therefore, they should be purchasable via direct buy. Six months is also already more than enough time for persons to have claimed.

Is there a way to just bulk release all the names at the same time that have gone over 6 months? Or do they have to be “found” and done manually one at a time? Obviously I know of a few… but I think each person should do their own legwork to find the gems on their own.

These domains include the ones that were listed in secondary sales and were never been reclaimed?

No, this would just be the unclaimed newly registered domains from over 6 months ago. People that don’t claim resale auctions have forever as they did claim them from the system and then relisted.

1 Like

I don’t think switching those domains to direct registration is good idea. The main reason is that these domains are quite rare and it would be too easy to snipe them all at once.

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about memcmp filters and Solana RPC request could get the list of all these domains and prepare a bot to snipe them. This is why it would more fair to simply restart the auction so everyone can have a chance to participate.

3 Likes

Ahh… I see. Good point. I didn’t realize someone could call them all up like that. Well then so it would be a manual auction “restart” then right? The same as any restart is now?

I guess we just need a date and time when we can begin.
Doesn’t seem like anyone else has any issue with the “un-unclaimening” :slight_smile:

I think re-auction is nice. While the winners be reimbursed their sol

Yes, winners will be able to cancel their current (winning) bid

1 Like

Any chance of claiming preference being given to persons who bid the second highest etc on the original auction, before a general re-auction?

1 Like

If you bid the highest on it already then you own it right now and just have to go claim it. Unless the auction is restarted in the near future. At that point they lost it and have to get in on the bid like everyone else again. If they show up during the new auction.

Second highest. No heh…

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant those who bid second and third highest etc.

Up to them. But I don’t know if that’s feasible. Interesting idea but would be unfair to all new bidders.
I do get what you are saying now. I missed the word “second” in my head at first lol

I don’t think switching those domains to direct registration is good idea. The main reason is that these domains are quite rare and it would be too easy to snipe them all at once.
Anyone with a bit of knowledge about memcmp filters and Solana RPC request could get the list of all these domains and prepare a bot to snipe them. This is why it would more fair to simply restart the auction so everyone can have a chance to participate.

I agree with this.

With one proviso. There should be some kind of grace period for the original buyer, including publication of the domains on Bonfida’s website say for a month before they are reclaimed.

This would prevent someone losing a domain that does not appear in the CLAIM section due to some outstanding issues with the Naming Service.

Here is the list of auctions that ended before Saturday, 31 July 2021 00:12:55 GMT (i.e 1627690375000)

https://ghostbin.com/oJU49/raw

1 Like

Here is the list of auctions that ended before Saturday, 31 July 2021 00:12:55 GMT (i.e 1627690375000)

Thanks. Publishing this periodically (eg. monthly) might be helpful to those who won the auctions, prior to Bonfida re-selling them by whatever means is decided.

When is Bonfida making a decition on this?

There are several steps we need before moving forward:

• Knowing which domains people would like to see restarted
  • Make this list public and wait for several days
  • Organize a DAO vote to restart the auctions

For me, these are the most valuable domains:

coin
apple
cocacola
weibo
tencent
bytedance
bezos